This was inspired by one of the HotForFood “RECIPE?!”s on their YouTube channel 🙂 I was improvising and eyeballing as I went along, so this recipe is the approximate measurements of what I used. Sometimes I like a lot of filling on my sandwiches, so you can definitely make a little more than what’s listed if you do too!
Servings 2 (aka 4 small roll sandwiches)
- 6-8 medium sized sliced baby bella/cremini/mushrooms
- optional: 1/4 diced small yellow onion
- 3/4-1 cup cooked bean of choice
- oil for the pan
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste (maybe about a tsp each?)
- smoked paprika!! (this will not be the same if you use regular #smokedpaprikaornopaprika)
- 4 tbs of bbq sauce of choice
- bread of choice (optional: toast the bread!)
- side dish of choice
- First, make sure the vegetables are cut up. For fun, I also rough chopped the beans a little bit.
- Heat a saucepan with some oil to medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Stir to combine.
- Once the mushrooms and onions are about halfway cooked, push them too one side of the pan. Put a little oil down on the exposed part of the pan. Put the beans onto the oiled part of the pan and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Stir everything in the pan to combine. If you aren’t using canned beans and you freshly cooked them (aka they’re still hot), you can add the beans after the mushrooms and onions are cooked.
- Once the mushrooms and onions are cooked and the beans are warm, add the bbq sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder. Let this cook down and absorb a little bit into the food (for me, about 2 minutes).
- Plate the delicious bbq food on the bread and eat! 😀 You can also drizzle a little extra sauce on top!
What I Used:
- for the beans I used equal parts canned chickpeas and black beans (not bpa lined)
- for the bbq sauce I used Annie’s! this is one of my favorites and is vegan!
- for the rolls I used BFree rolls
- I served my sandwiches with salad
What I Wish I Had In My Fridge That Really Would’ve Been Delicious:
- Daiya cheese! Either the cheddar shreds or the pepper jack!